Syrian cartoonist Ali Farzat perfectly sums up his country’s political situation. Read Max Fisher’s Atlantic article on Farzat and his artistic activism.
Messi and Tevez beating Maradona in Soccer Tennis
It doesn’t exactly solve the “Who’s better?” debate, but it’s certainly a nice Friday Flashback. There’s nothing like seeing El Diego put the old boots on and duel with the best. With Enzo as his partner, Maradona took on Lionel Messi and Carlos Tevez. Not an easy task. Unsurprisingly, Leo and Carlos swept their competition aside, but not without witnessing a few classic flicks (and complaints) from Maradona.
Adam and Wynn caught up with Chris Forsythe, lead of the Growl project to talk about Growl, their App Store launch, and his work on Adium and Perian.
Items mentioned in the show:
- We recently launched The Sass Way so you can get your fix of all things Sass and Compass
- Chris Forsythe is the project lead for Growl.
- Growl is a popular notification system for Mac OS X.
- Growl is now in the App Store and on GitHub
- Chris was formerly the project manager for the Adium.
- Your $1.99 will help send Chris to his first WWDC.
- GrowlMail is now a separate project.
- Over two hundred applications support Growl notifications.
- Designers have created many visual Growl styles to make Growl look great.
- Wynn’s favorite is Hud from @Rogie.
- Growl now supports GNTP, allowing Linux and Windows notifications apps to share a common protocol.
- Wynn uses Growl for visual feedback for his test suite.
- Chris also is a founder of the Perian project, a free, open source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats.
- Chris says that the GPL prevents Perian from taking the App Store path.
- The OSI is a non-profit corporation with global scope formed to educate about and advocate for the benefits of open source and to build bridges among different constituencies in the open source community.
- Chris relates the impact Steve Jobs had on his open source work.
- Evan Schoenberg inspires Chris.
where an object becomes self aware
and learns to love
#so basically you’re saying we’re Dalek Sec
#we’re ok with this
Do you have cancer? Find out with this fun, flirty quiz!!
1. It’s the middle of class and your crush looks over to see you:
a. Texting him!
b. Paying attention to the teacher. Come on – it’s class!
c. Picking at a large new mole that has recently developed on your forearm!
Darcy, Tucson, AZ
Mike Daisey was a self-described “worshipper in the cult of Mac.” Then he saw some photos from a new iPhone, taken by workers at the factory where it was made. Mike wondered: Who makes all my crap? He traveled to China to find out.